CGA’s Growing Library of Hydrogen Safety Publications
When it comes to hydrogen, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) has been developing related standards for more than half a century – we published our first hydrogen safety standard in 1955.
The standards we develop are incorporated by regulators, industrial engineers, designers, and zoning bodies at the federal, state, and provincial level. We’re ANSI accredited. And while we’ve historically focused on the U.S. and Canada, we have also long worked with ISO and the UN to create model regulations and harmonize standards across borders in this increasingly connected world.
The following CGA safety publications focus on hydrogen, with additional standards in development.
Physical Properties & Specifications
- CGA C-6.4, Methods for External Visual Inspection of Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) and Hydrogen Gas Vehicle (HGV) Fuel Containers and Their Installations
- CGA H-3, Standard for Cryogenic Hydrogen Storage
- CGA H-5, Standard for Bulk Hydrogen Supply Systems (an American National Standard)
- CGA P-28, OSHA Process Safety Management and EPA Risk Management Plan Guidance Document for Bulk Liquid Hydrogen Systems
- CGA PS-33, CGA Position Statement on Use of LPG or Propane Tank as Compressed Hydrogen Storage Buffers
- delivery of hydrogen to near-consumer use points;
- noise from hydrogen venting and system operation;
- small scale hydrogen production and delivery;
- material suitability for hydrogen service;
- reciprocating cryogenic pumps and pump installations for hydrogen and liquefied natural gas; and
- updates to the emergency response guidelines for hydrogen.
Production & Maintenance
- CGA H-10, Combustion Safety for Steam Reformer Operation
- CGA H-11, Safe Startup and Shutdown Practices for Steam Reformers
- CGA H-12, Mechanical Integrity of Syngas Outlet Systems
- CGA H-13, Hydrogen Pressure Swing Adsorber (PSA) Mechanical Integrity Requirements
- CGA H-14, HYCO Plant Gas Leak Detection and Response Practices
- CGA H-15, Safe Catalyst Handling in HYCO Plants
- CGA P-89, Prevention of Plant Instrument and Utility Gas System Cross Contamination
- CGA G-5.4, Standard for Hydrogen Piping Systems at User Locations
- CGA G-5.5, Hydrogen Vent Systems
- CGA G-5.6, Hydrogen Pipeline Systems
- CGA G-5.7, Carbon Monoxide and Syngas Pipeline Systems
- CGA PS-31, CGA Position Statement on Cleanliness for Proton Exchange Membranes Hydrogen Piping/Components
- CGA PS-46, CGA Position Statement on Roofs Over Hydrogen Storage Systems
- CGA PS-48, CGA Position Statement on Clarification of Existing Hydrogen Setback Distances and Development of New Hydrogen Setback Distances in NFPA 55